Donors must meet the following criteria:
- Be in good general health.
- Meet the current criteria of the FDA required Communicable Disease Screening.
- Meet the current criteria of the Donor Egg Program of Columbia Fertility Associates for the screening of genetic and infectious diseases.
- Have regular, ovulatory menstrual cycles.
- Undergo a psychological/emotional evaluation administered by a mental health professional.
It is recommended that donors meet the following:
- Be between the ages of 21 and 30.
- Have previously achieved a pregnancy.
Donors will be excluded for the following reasons:
- Medical status that makes stimulating the ovaries to produce increased numbers of eggs a significant health risk.
- Inaccessible ovaries or any other contraindication to egg retrieval.
- Active pelvic infection.
- Personal or family history which places the recipient at an increased risk for genetic abnormality.
- Inability to understand instructions, procedures, and/or consent forms.
- Inability to cope with the emotional stresses and time commitments involved in the egg donation process.